Thursday, January 14, 2010

This oil painting is of a Spanish landscape and is 9 x 12 inches. I did it very quickly at the end of a day when I had struggled with more difficult subjects. I often find it relaxing to work on a nice peaceful landscape at the end of a challenging day.

My brush of choice with this painting, as with many lately, was a #14 Bright. The one I have been using is quite soft but has very good edge definition. I really like the action of this brush. I can produce narrow lines, get into little spaces, put down a strong angular stroke or just cover a lot of area quickly. For larger work I still like to block in with a larger brush with stiff bristles, as this lets me get the main shapes defined quickly, while the idea is still fresh.

I find it helpful to try new types of brushes from time to time, and to vary the brushes I am using. It seems to keep things more interesting without really changing my style of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment