Tuesday, January 19, 2016


And now for something completely different!

This is an oil painting, 20 x 16 inches.  I did it in a class I am taking at the Art Students League in Denver...the class focuses on abstract painting.  I am taking it in order to study the elements of shape, light, color, texture, edge quality, line, etc, without the distraction of making it look like a specific subject.  I then intend to take my observations back to my regular work. 

There are a couple of benefits I hadn't thought of until a couple of classes went by.  I am learning and experimenting with different ways of applying/modifying/removing paint.  And, since I have no intention of taking these paintings to shows or galleries, I have nothing to lose with each painting and can push each one in any direction at any time.  This may be a good attitude to bring back to my regular work as well.  And, it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment